Thursday, October 20, 2005

Back from the Dead

Apologies for my long absence. My life over the last few weeks was consumed by moving from the Bay Area to Portland, Oregon, where I am now settled in and very happy with my decision to relocate. I am beginning to make professional contacts in the city, a process aided by a networking event (with associated mailing list) called pdxMindShare. If you are in the Portland area and work in online marketing, business, web design, etc., pdxMindShare is a fun way to meet potential employers, employees, and various other new entries for your PDA's address book. Also, the restaurant that hosts it, Masu, serves up some darn good sushi and drinks.

Now that I'm back on the job market again and hanging out my own shingle, I'm noticing that, among the flood of job listings for online marketing positions, SEM skills alone are no longer sufficient. Agencies and companies are looking for people who bring a more rounded skillset to the table: not just SEM, but SEO (two separate job descriptions at my last employer), plus e-mail marketing, maybe some website design thrown in for good measure. The biz is becoming more mature, users are becoming ever more savvy, and I've got a lot of learning to do! It's a challenge I'm glad to accept. To quote Robert A. Heinlein, "Specialization is for insects." I could use those extra arms they've got, though.
|